Friday, March 9, 2007

Michelle Recommends...


OK - favorite books -
Your Self-Confident Child by Magda Gerber. I received this is a gift when Clare was born, and I really love it. I have given it to several people who seem to be interested in it. If you are interested in it, I have several extra copies, one of which I would be more than delighted to send to you. But I am not offended if it is not interesting to you.

Your Child's Self-Esteem by Dorothy C Briggs. Although this was written in the '70s, I found it incredibly valuable. Just ignore the outdated parts (like a long explanation of why spanking is not good and some assumptions that mommies stay home and daddies work). I wished I had read this well before Clare was past 5. Magda Gerber kind of goes up to age 2, and her strategies work pretty well up to there, but I felt a little abandoned by her after age 2...this book would have been wonderful to have, and it is wonderful to have now.

Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Dr. Marc Weissbluth. I really appreciated knowing the biology behind sleep. Sleep has been getting even more press lately, and I am so thankful that I have had Dr. Weissbluth as a guide for helping my children develop healthy sleep habits. This is one area where I think we have done very well.

Caring for your Baby and Young Child by Steven Shelov, MD, et al. (American Academy of Pediatrics) This tells you what normal developmental achievements your child should have. If s/he meets these, you have pretty much nothing to worry about. If you are concerned, then you have concrete examples to discuss with your pediatrician. It also has some information about common illnesses, which are helpful when you are confronted with things that you have no idea what to do with.

No comments: